Thursday, January 19, 2012

Pledge to Go Vegetarian in 2012 - Mercy For Animals

Pledge to Go Vegetarian in 2012 - Mercy For Animals

It's not too late to pledge to change your diet. Mercy for Animals will send you their vegetarian starter kit, send you tips, recipes and words of encouragement. A vegan meal, or recipe, doesn't always have something "weird" or "strange" in it. Usually, it's just replacing a couple of items with common substitutes such as, using canola oil instead of eggs, or almond/soy milk instead of dairy milk. I have always loved to cook, and the food I have prepared has tasted even better since I went vegan. All of the baking is so moist, the recipes can be very easy, and you can experiment with all kind of fruits, spices, and combinations of ingredients. I also like to experiment with my cooking, changing up soups, stir fry, chili, pizza and incorporating as many raw vegetables as I possibly can. There are some good substitutes for meat and dairy products and while I use them on occasion, I, personally, like to make things that aren't trying to imitate dishes I was used to when I was an omnivore. There are several great cookbooks that can help you along the way. I started with "Veganomicon." Yes, you will have to look at ingredients which most of us are too lazy to do; however, once you get the hang of it you can usually do your shopping just as quickly as before because you know what types of food are vegan. Just make sure you check any new items you haven't purchased before. If you take the pledge at the link above, you will be entered into monthly drawings for prizes such as cookbooks (including "Veganomicon"), among many other gifts. The best part about going vegan is knowing that you are doing what you can so that innocent animals don't have to suffer, that you are helping the environment by not wasting so many resources or contributing to the greenhouse gases and waste that runs into our waters, and that you are helping your health.

If anyone is interested, has questions, or needs advice, just ask! I would be glad to offer suggestions to help you on your path to a new meat-free you.

3 comments:

  1. I know this is late, but I wanted to pledge to be meat-free right now. That means, no matter what I am doing, I will find an option that doesn't include meat. Period. Thank you for being an inspiration to me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's really very easy to trive on a vegan diet. Visit blogs such holy cow, fat free vegan and vegan dad for easy and nutritious vegan recipes...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have looked at Vegan Dad, but I will take a look at the other blogs. Thanks for the information. I also have some favorite Cookbook authors, the writers of Veganomicon. Everything I have tried from their book has been phenomenal. But, I also like to experiment on my own too.

    ReplyDelete